community contains a number of substantial farmhouses
dating from the time when the Wynnes' of Glynllifon
and their predecessors dominated this part of the
Arfon coastal strip.
of these, Pennarth, the site of a bronze age burial
chamber, situated on the minor road leading south-east
from the village, is the Pennardd mentioned in the
'Mabinogion' - a collection of ancient Welsh stories
and mythology. Its archaeological and literary importance
is discussed in the History
of Clynnog Fawr section of this website under
the headings 'Pennarth' and 'Clynnog
in our very first literature.'
the nineteenth century, coal carrying coastal vessels
would be beached at low tide and their cargo transferred
to Yr Iard (the Yard). A lime kiln was also located
not far from Ty'n y Coed.
the seashore between Aberdesach and Clynnog there
stood a row of fishermen's cottages called
Y Borth. The Gwynedd Archives at Caernarfon has a
photograph of these taken in 1900. Another, much
later, photograph, dating from 1975, of the by then
ruined cottages, will be exhibited at Canolfan Hanes
Uwchgwyrfai. Today, nothing remains of Y Borth, the
site having been eroded by the sea.