takes its name from the Calvinistic Methodist chapel
established here in 1827. The village sits at the
foot of Cilgwyn Mountain and was developed as a place
for the workers of the local quarries to live.
The village developed immediately above the site of
the gate on the old mountain wall at the crossroads between
the road from the coastal plain to the commons and the
road across the commons themselves.
These were 'tai moel' (landless houses),
and because of this the old streets are narrow.
Sir Thomas Parry, his brother Gruffudd Parry and
Dafydd Glyn Jones who is one of their relatives,
were all born here.