Fron is a mid 19th century ribbon development partly
along the original road to Pen yr Orsedd Quarry (1809)
and an industrial railway leading to Y Fron Quarry (1864).
The village is characterised by substantial shops and
chapels and a variety of buildings illustrating the evolution
of architecture from the vernacular tradition through
to the 'industrial vernacular', yet without progressing
beyond the intermittent ribbon pattern of settlement.
Capel y Fron is a substantial halo-arch chapel of the
later 19th century and it is worth noting that Capel
Bwlch y Llyn is a rare example of an architect-designed
chapel built after the reformation of 1904, including
a considerable amount of brick in the construction.
The village is known by some as Upper Llandwrog. The
school here dates from the early 19th century.