is widely known throughout Wales because of two famous
residents - the bard Robert
Williams Parry (R Williams-Parry) and the Reverend
John Jones, one of the most influential Methodists
village developed in the late 18th century in the Pen-y-Bont
area ~ the land was formerly part of Coedmadog Farm.
to the success of the 'Cloddfa Coed' Slate Quarry
between 1850 and 1870 the village quickly expanded.
Houses for the workers and their families were
built on the side of the hill along the line of
Hen Lôn (the old road) and the turnpike road
(1840s) and the Nantlle Railway. Part of the road
between Talysarn and Nantlle collapsed into the
Dorothea Quarry in 1924, and shortly after, a new
road was built on the southern side of the valley,
where once was the Lower Lake Nantlle.
The lake was gradually drained during the 19th century
as the water was so close to the deep quarry pits.
But after a dreadful accident in 1884, the river
Llyfni was canalised.
»» Planning for Real
Talysarn and Nantlle Bulletin
Celts Football Club